Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

Well for those of you that know me, you may now that I'm not superstitious. In fact, I've always loved Friday the 13th because it IS Friday after all. Today was the exception! I didn't even remember it WAS the 13th. So, anyway for reasons I'm not getting into right now, we didn't have electricity last night. We slept like crud with no air and the boy being afraid of the dark. Oh well, that worked out. I thought, what the heck, I'll get to work early, I can't go online or anything. Guess what! We drove my vehicle when we went out yesterday. Kenny used my keys and never gave them back. It was before 7, so I knew he wasn't at work yet and I called him. He brought my keys to me and I was still leaving in time to be ON TIME. Well, I get in my car and head one direction, he heads the other. My car dies on the wrong side of the street for parking on, just half a block away. SO, I immediately call Kenny whose phone went straight to voice mail. I call again. Nothing. Call my mom thinking my step-dad would be there since it's his DAY OFF! But NO, the guy doesn't take days off. He gets a day off from his job and goes to work with a friend. Call good old husband and cuss out his voice mail. So, I figure out what was wrong with the car when I got out and see a huge puddle and notice it really smells like gasoline. I stand back and see a hose under the car dripping. I decide to check it out and see if I could figure out what it was, and my mom drives up while I'm contemplating the hose. Well there was this nice shiny part under there. I knew that my husband and step dad had changed something to do with the fuel line. (it's a fuel filter I hear) Anyway, so I got it figured out. Thankfully it didn't take long because I kept trying to start it at first and when you turn on the ignition of a fuel injected car, gas starts flowing. Anyway, called husband's work before figuring it out and he SAYS he can't do anything and he might be able to leave work in about a half hour. Yeah that helps! NOT. So anyway, I walk home to find a screwdriver. My mom pulls into the drive way to give me a ride to my car. Ok, it's three houses down, but ok. So, anyway, I got it fixed, got bird shit on my arm and my other arm is soaked in gas. The freaking gas that cost about $3.10 a gallon. I kept thinking how much money was on the ground.

So, I made it to work and couldn't stop shaking. Too much adrenaline. But, my stepdad finally calls my mom's cell and tells her something. She said, "I want you to tell Nikki that." and hands me the phone. He said, "I bet it was leaking fuel behind the driver side rear tire, wasn't it?" He KNEW it might not be tight enough. They didn't have a screw driver to do it, so they did it with pliers and HOPED it would work. So, of course they were on my shit list for awhile.

Luckily, the rest of the day was good. Oh, and we played kickball at the park and my team of ragtag 5 to 8 year olds beat the other kids - even though their teacher was sure they would win.

2 comments:

captain corky said...

Rough start to your day. I'm impressed how you handled the car situation. My battery died the other day and I called Tripple A. Yeah, I'm that lame. ;)

I'm going to add your blogs to the log soon.

nikki said...

I honestly didn't have a choice. My mom was going to call AAA, but I was asking what they would do. Tow it half a block, then how do I get to work? The battery and tires were FINE. But, my husband was happy I didn't just sit around and wait for a man. He was also happy I work 10 hour days so I'd be calm when I got home.