Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Rules

So, I was thinking of rules we had when I was a kid. Things have changed a lot since then.

The other day, I was driving down the street and saw kids riding their bikes on the side walk near a busy street. I started thinking. We live near a busy street that has a few places that aren't so bad. I don't know if I'd let my kids go over to the gas station there right now. Corey is 11 and Amory is 7. When I was in 5th grade I was 10. We moved to Lincoln, NE. One of the busiest streets there is O street. We were NOT to cross O for anything. Did that stop us? Well, of course not!

So, I was thinking about rules. The ones that were broken and those that weren't. My dad had a thing called "Hollering Distance". If we were called to come home, we better be there in no time. I don't even use the word holler. Anyway, the other one we had that pertained to distance and being home was the rule to be home before the street lights came on. I remember they came on in a series. You could pedal as fast as they came on. It was a race to get from one end of the street to the other. Great times. I don't even think we ever got in trouble for not making it back on that. I'm sure we were late, but not too late.

So, anyway, I was thinking of my kids. They don't have these rules. It's kinda sad. They don't really GO anywhere. They sometimes go across the street. I kinda wish they could go run around, but I don't know where they'd go. I DON'T want them near the busy streets, but ultimately, I would have been there if I was a kid.

I don't know, I just think kids these days don't do nearly as much as we did.

No comments: